Monday, July 18, 2011

What a week!!




We had a crazy storm go through the Chicago land area last week.  We were without power for 4 days, without internet for 5.  But the mess is all cleaned up, and the world is back to good again.  Now we just have to be ready for the heat wave coming our way.   Without power,  it makes it a bit difficult for me to sew (I can't do anything by hand!).

This weekend I did FINALLY finish the Baltimore Album Quilt (also referred to by my daughters as the Boston Baked Bean quilt and the old lady quilt).   I am pleased as punch.  I've been working on this for over 3 years, it was suppose to be completed by the end of June for Myra's PhD challenge.  I could have finished by then if I wouldn't have been so crazy about taking those first few quilting stitches.   It took me two weeks to get the nerve to get it started!

Now I know you're all sick of seeing this one, but I promise it's the last time.  I really do have show that it's finished right???  I did have to wash it as the chalk marks did not come out completely, but the washing gives it a nice  little puff I think.    Usually I cut the binding fabric as soon as I know what I want to use and set it aside so I don't use it on something else.  But this time, I looked and looked for that binding and couldn't find it anywhere.  Then I remembered I where the binding went, on my snowman collector quilt!!  Lucky for me I had something close. The binding is just a tad darker than the sashing red, but I'm pleased  with it.  Mostly cuz it's done!! Yippee!!!

So that only leaves 1 lonely quilt on my waiting to be quilted list.  And that one I'm surprised ever even made it to the list!!  But I think it's going to be a while for machine quilting.  I've gotten it out of my system for a while.  All those feathers on a DMS, well it'll be a while before I do something like that again!!

Hope everyone has a great week and stays cool.

18 comments:

  1. Spectacular! Look at that incredible quilting-and I know the applique required equal skill and patience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, you quilt is absolutely stunning!! I am so impressed with your quilting!! Gorgeous!!! Did you quilt it on a long-arm or on your regular machine? Did you chalk every feather?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you can't do anything by hand, how did you do the applique? It is a stunning quilt. You should be oh so proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEAH!!!!! Oh, this is so pretty - I just can't believe how beautifully you FMQ on your home machine. Maybe I'll send you my quilts - only one waiting she says.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! Congratulations on such a fabulous finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is amazing...I'm glad you shared it one more time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one beautiful quilt! I just love all of those tiny little pieces. I have an applique quilt waiting for me, and this makes me want to jump right in there and get to work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spectacular! This quilt is just so beautiful...front and back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning quilt - beautiful quilting. I love the antique look after it has been washed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow -- once again, Sue! That is definitely what I call a WOW! quilt, you did a fabulous job. And congrats on getting it finished. Is it going to have a new home? Or are you going to show it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both sides are stunning and what wonderful quilting. You should be very proud of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd never bet tired of seeing this beautiful quilt! It's magnificient! And, even though we never want to wash them the first time, they always look more "quilty" when we do. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt turned out absolutely amazing!
    It has been wonderful seeing your progress (and inspirational!).
    Congratulations!♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sue,

    Everything you do takes my breath away! Great job and congratulations on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No one could ever get tired of seeing a beautiful quilt like that! It's definitely one of those that you pour over again and again looking at the details.

    And congratulations on it being a PHD finish! The one I'm closest to completing is also still waiting for me to get over "quilting it" fears. A few more avoidance projets and I will get to it!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, comments and questions welcome!