Sunday, April 13, 2014

A finish, A flimsie and a fun quilt in progress

I've got quilts in so many different states today, but that's how we like it isn't it :) A couple of new starts, a 2.5 in strip quilt for a 4 year boy started and triangles started.  I've been drooling over those triangles in QAL for seems like months now.  I'm doing a practice table runner before I start on the real quilt.   Just got the triangle die for accuquilt and I LOVE it.


And a Flimsie - this one if for Relay for Life.  I'm going to quilt the title of pattern in the quilt, Hope Takes Flight and then I'll quilt some butterflies, dragon flies and flowers with some back ground swirls.  
There's one butterfly that must have been off by an inch when I trimmed , I might have to rip that one out and redo it.  
This is the biggest quilt I've made since Bonnie Hunters' Easy Street.  Pattern is Urban Shades, you can find this at Moda Back Shop.  This one is 7 blocks square - 96 inches square.  Should fit wonderfully on a queen size bed after washing.  I used Omni thread for the first time.  I like it.  Seems a bit thicker and tougher than Glide so I don't think I would use this thread for any dense quilting.  But my machine liked it well enough.   If I want a 40 wt thread with no sheen, I would definitely use it again.  Batting is Hobbs Poly Down.  Quilting pattern is Contempo, looks great and quilts really quickly.  It's a big quilt and I didn't want to make it too heavy with a cotton batting.  I used the left over fabric for a strip on the backing and a nice soft flannel on the sides of that.  I tried to place the blocks such that the concentration of color was in the center and as it goes out there is less color and more shades of grey.  I think it would have worked better with smaller blocks. 
Urban Shades
Urban Shades
Urban Shades back
Don't forget to check out all the linky love on the side bar, something for everyday of the week, go get inspired!

25 comments:

  1. Lots of fun going on, but just love the Urban Shades!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this quilt! It turned out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilting on your Urban Shades quilt is perfect! Love the lines in that quilt. The Relay for Life quilt is going to be beautiful. I love the saying... Hope Takes Flight. Is this one for a raffle?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Relay for Life idea esp....but congrats on your Urban Shades finish!! Looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Urban Shades quilt, and you've chosen a good quilting pattern to enhance the lines in the patchwork.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been wanting to pick up the triangle die for my Accuquilt Go! Thank you for letting me know you like it.

    Hope Takes Flight has so much negative space to work with. I think I would be intimidated by all that empty space.

    The quilting on the Urban Shades is perfect. This is a design that I love to do on the long arm but just can't seem to make work on the DSM. I really love the back of this quilt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Urban Shades-gorgeous quilt!! Love the "Hope takes flight" work in progress too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well you are certainly busy. The Urban Shades is wonderful. I adore the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your urban shades quilt--very geometric and the black makes the colors pop! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Urban Shades quilt! You've got a lot of fun stuff going on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quilt Sue and thanks for sharing about the thread. You will absolutely love the AccuQuilt triangle die!! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always find great ideas and inspiration from your posts. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow you have a lot going on ..love the baby quilt in the prior post too. About that butterfly...don't kill it if you take it out...let it fly away ! :) :) That is such a pretty top / love the idea of it : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love Urban Shades - looks like fun. You do some beautiful quilting. Great job. It is interesting that you are doing the 'hope takes flight' pattern. I just downloaded it yesterday and will be a smaller version with oriental fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a busy lady. Nice work! I love the Urban Shades quilt. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are all great projects but Hope Takes Flight just struck a chord, with me. I can't wait to see how it progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your triangles are drool worthy. I love the checkboard effect with white.

    ReplyDelete
  18. gorgeous quilt, love the colours of the triangles, but I love Hope Takes Flight most of all, what a beauty

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love Urban Shades...did you just use fabric from your stash? :) Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the geometric quilting motif you chose for the Urban Shades. Such a compliment to the design of the quilt. Those pretty butterflies taking flight are sweet! Don't rip and redo. Let it go! Can't wait to see more of your triangle progress! Love those!

    ReplyDelete
  21. hope takes flight! Love that
    LeeAnna Paylor
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow I love all that you have going on....definitely the way I like it too!
    The urban shades pattern is calling me I might scale it down tho it looks huge!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, comments and questions welcome!