Thursday, July 11, 2013

It's that time of year again - 100 Quilts for Kids

Ok I think have perfected the art of procrastination.  I wanted so badly to start Common Bride.  I have the pattern, have the fabrics laying out nice and neatly on in a sew room that had scraps under control thanks to  Mission Scrap Attack.  But I'm afraid, I'm scared, I'm not quite but almost terrified of starting this absolutely wonderfully beautiful quilt.  I will go to drastic measures to not start it. Such as curved piecing.  Yep I got 25 more blocks on Center of My Universe.  I like how it's looking   Seriously curved piecing has nothing on Y seams - yes the dreaded *Y-Seam*.  I really need to learn how to to do them.
Center of My Universe - almost 1/2 done
 And then I got bored with the curved piecing, ya can only do so much with that.  I still have 50 blocks to go....but hey I'm 25 closer than where I was before :)  And then I saw that it's time again for 100 Quilts for Kids.  I LOVE making kid quilts.  They aren't too big, they're bright and cheery  - and then keep me from starting Common Bride.   So out came all the strings I have .  I huge tub full.  I made 8 giant 18 inch blocks and you can't even tell there are any missing.   Funny I like the Boy quilt and my husband likes the girl quilt.  Either way, plenty more strings so we'll have at least a couple more boy quilts and a couple more girl quilts.  I may be able to get 6 out of the strings and 4 charm packs I found laying around.  Maybe more.  All I know is that those 18 inch blocks didn't use up nearly enough strings.
100 Quilts for Kids - boy Strings 
100 Quilts for Kids - Girl Strings - purples and yellows are really brighter than what I see on my computer.
You should really join in the fun for 100 Quilts for Kids - the kids need some quilts and you donate to a local charity for kids. Details can be found here -
http://swimbikequilt.com/2013/07/100-quilts-for-kids-charity-quilt-drive-starts-today.html
Baby Smiles is having a sleep over on Sat and Sun is fun in the City - Taste of Chicago. So this may be it for sewing for the weekend.  Linking up with Sarah, go see what everyone is whooping about this Friday.  Linking up with Judy for Design Wall Monday -
Patchwork Times

13 comments:

  1. Wow, you have been busy. I love the look of your 'universe' quilt. It's shaping up to be a real stunner!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Universe quilt is fantastic! I love to make kids quilts too, they are just the right size to play and no pressure :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These quilts are great. You have quite an amazing body of quilt-work. I envy you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, your 100QFK quilts are beautiful - and sure to make a couple of kids very happy! I know Kate appreciates you plugging the quilt drive.

    And that universe quilt is amazing!! Quite the challenge!

    Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Common Bride quilt is just gorgeous. Can't wait to watch you work on it. :) In the meantime, your procrastination play is amazing! LOVE your Center of My Universe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your "universal" quilt is gorgeous! I like the string-pieced designs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great kids quilts. I don't do much with strings but I love how they look. And, of course the CMU is just great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of great eye candy and inspiration. One of these days I need to do some thing with curved seams and pointy bits. What, if anything, do you use for foundations. I like the big size because four blocks, borders and you are done. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so pretty but curved piecing is not my fav at all. I was beginning to think something was wrong with me because I was avoiding this trend in so many patterns out there. Your skills are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thumbs up to you on these quilts and your progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Center of My Universe is stunning. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! Y seams...my thoughts are why? Applause to you for taking the leap and doing them, stunning quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The blocks you made are fantastic! I learned how to do y-seams in a class with Karen Combs (but admittedly, haven't practiced them for quite a while). She did a good job of making them step-by-step. Don't know if she has any tips in her website, but it might be a place to look. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, comments and questions welcome!