Sunday, February 1, 2015

Let it snow, more time for quilting!

I finished up a panel quilt for a shower gift for daughter #1.  I love panel quilts.  All you have to do is add a quick border at the most, then load it on the frame for some quilting fun!  I like to try new things on panel quilts, this time it was the semi-circle border, and I loved the results.   I also found that I like the stitching around applique with thread better than invisible thread.  I did invisible thread around everything, but when I was doing the rest of the quilting and needed to backtrack along the line of the applique (fake applique in this case :) that I really preferred the thread rather than the invisible thread.  But you know when I was little I always outlined in coloring before filling in.  I think it's really very similar.






I love pictures in the snow and we got 6 inches over night, another 6 or so on the way.  I tried taking a few shots but the snow was falling faster than I could setup the quilt and get a shot!


24 comments:

  1. Oh enjoy your "snow sewing". THIS owl quilt is adorable and your quitling fabulous! It accents the quilt so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you rejuvinated this under our panels theme this week Sue as when I grow up I want to quilt like you!! LOL!! Actually I'm taking my first Long arm FMQ/Rulers class in May and will have all summer to practice!

      Delete
  2. Your quilting is just so beautiful! I wouldn't have thought of doing a panel quilt this way. I have one of the princesses waiting for borders and I only thought about a quick pantograph. Of course, you will see yours again but mine never.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing how you quilt these. The border is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make panels into the most stunning pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the little elements you quilted it with, super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a darling quilt! And you know, come to think of it, panel quilts really are perfect for practicing the kind of quilting you would do on applique, a MUCH better idea than practicing on an actual applique quilt top that someone has spent hundreds of hours putting together! I really love the Baptist Fan motif you quilted on the borders, too -- it looks great with the polka dots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't even imagine that much snow! Love your little panel quilt. It is adorable and the quilting is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I saw the center of the panel my first thought was neat... maybe she will tell us where she got the pattern for that! LOL So its a panel and that works to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely quilting--you made the panel beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilting is exquisite. I am very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely adorable! And your quilting is awesome as usual :) I especially love that double line cross hatch!! Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is one of the cutest panels. I'm an owl collector. Guess I should look for one to play with. Your quilting is fabulous. It brings a panel quilt up to show quality the way you quilt them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute, and beautiful quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really great quilting. And to see it from the reverse--fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is gorgeous! I really love the quilting you've done, particularly the diamonds on the blue border. And your quilting recreate the whole scene on the back! Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is just gorgeous!!! Glad you saved it from the snow ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whooo knew owls could be so adorable? (ha!)
    I loved seeing all the quilty goodness, front and back.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the expressions on those owls. Your quilting is unbelievably amazing!! So gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute panel and I love the quilting! Not sure I'll ever get to that level with DSM, but I keep practicing.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, comments and questions welcome!