Monday, August 27, 2012

DWM - Table Runner Quilted

One big long table runner

freehand all over whimsical feathers


the back of the table runner
I got a text from my daughter around noon on Friday telling me she had a wedding shower on Sat afternoon, could I just whip up a table runner?  Really???  Work is crazy and I had a shopping trip planned with one of her sisters on Sat morning.  I don't "whip" things up.  I take my time, painfully picking patterns, then fabrics, it's a process that I just can't do all that fast.  So the answer was no to her.  But it did get me in the mood to make a table runner for myself, is that really bad?   I made the table runner because I want to try an all over freehand pattern for the quilting.  I liked it.  This is the first time I've done the whimsical feathers and the first time I've done a hook feather.  Great practice.  The table runner was 32 colors from a batik jelly roll, sewed them together, cut them to 20 inch sections and was done, hmmm I guess that is whipping something up.  Well you know it only took me 3 hours to decide on something this simple :)  Just need the binding and done.


Linking up with 

22 comments:

  1. ohhh this came out pretty and love the FMQ. Thanks for showing it off so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now a simple,throw together is the strip stitching (and then some simple straight line quilting). Lots of feather quilting is not simple, throw together. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty table runner! I don't whip things up either. Mulling is part of my process;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely quilting and lovely table runner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful job whipping out that table runner. I'll put my order in next week.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your feathers look amazing. Love the stylized echoing on each lobe. I don't whip things up either. For me the process is probably more important than the product.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning. It will look so great on your table (or mine?) and, of course, the quilting is over the top. 3 hours, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The batiks are gorgeous and your quilting looks amazing!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why is it that people assume quilters can just whip something up for them in no time at all? It takes time and energy as well as materials for even a table runner. I guess they think we're miracle workers with unlimited (free) supplies and more hours in the day than normal people!

    Your runner and the quilting you did on it is great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I have some silk FQ that I'm saving to do a similar style table runner, but based on my (lack of) machine quilting skills, mine will be straight line quilting. Great feathers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it!! What a great idea - having a good play but making something so gorgeous and useful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You must have a BIG table, seating for 12? Ha ha! It is beautiful, love those feathers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love, love,love the feathers. I must try them and hope they turn out nearly as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! This is just gorgeous! I'm head over heels in love with the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's gorgeous Sue! I am so jealous of your FMQ skills!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was a great idea. I love the FMQ--great place to try it out.
    And, it's even better that you didn't whip something up for someone else and have something you yourself can use.

    ReplyDelete
  17. gorgeous feathers and I love this idea. Fabrics are so pretty and meld together. Hook feathers are such fun, aren't they!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the batiks for a table runner. You did a great job on the feather quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How beautiful and I really, really love your quilting! I sure hope your daughter doesn't see this post :) Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion at the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your runner is gorgeous!! I love the whimsical feather quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it's pretty amazing, considering you "whipped it right up"! The quilting on that runner in breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, comments and questions welcome!