Sunday, November 23, 2014

Freedom Quilt Complete

The only thing left is the label.  The last two post have had the details of this quilt so I won't add those again.  I lost 2 inches on this in the quilting, it's now 88x88.  I'll lose a couple more inches when I was it as well.  But for the most part I'm pleased with how it turned out. I took a very simple pattern and complicated it as much as I possibly could!!  It really was an emotional quilt to complete.  My dad was in the Korean War and my niece as been in Iraq twice and Afghanistan twice, I know this has changed them forever.  There isn't a lot that I can do, so I do what I can and that is to quilt.  Hopefully this quilt will comfort a soldier from my nieces unit and let them know how much their service is appreciated.












Two layers of batting - Hobbs 80/20 on the bottom, Hobbs Wool on top - love love loved this combination.   Premosoft 50Wt thread on top, 60wt magna glide in the bobbin.

Now that I have the next couple days off to sew, I thought I would start a new project.  The quilt on my bed is really worn and tattered.  I've only made one quilt for my bed and that quilt has been used every single day for the past 12 years.   It's time for a new one.  I have the swoon ready to go, but that doesn't really fit the whole log cabin feel, and the way I'm stalling with that one, there will be plenty of quilts coming out of my sewing room before I finish that one, but it is on the list.  Hubby wants a log cabin quilt (that's what is currently on the bed) and I want something a little bit more modern.  So log cabin block it is (hey he wants a log cabin feel, how can a log cabin block NOT give that feel?) I'm using 2 fat quarter bundles of shot cotton (love) so that will satisfy my a little twist of modern.  I know they are going to be 9 in blocks.  Just not sure which pattern, here's the two options - surprisingly I like option 1 where hubby likes option 2 - really didn't see that one coming.  But I have 169 blocks to put together before we actually have to decide. So what do you think?  Option 1 or option 2?  And I think the contrast between the light and dark is going to be a bit less with these fabrics .  Don't forget to check out all the linky love on the side bar.  Lots to see and do every day of the week!
Log Cabin Option 1
Log Cabin Option 2

35 comments:

  1. it's beautiful you sure did a good job with all that quilting

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an outstanding quilt. I hope you will take time to enter it into some major machine quilting shows before presenting it. It needs to be shared with the quilting community as well as a soldier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly put your heart and soul into this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is breath taking! The design, the words and silhouettes and the quilting combine to make it such an exceptional quilt. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, this is magnificent! The recipient will absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another BEAUTIFUL quilt and another beautiful finish, Sue! It is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a spectacular quilt, Sue. My son is a Marine, so this really speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This quilt is stunning! Both my husband and some are retired with a total of 45 years of service. I know that someone will treasure this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Sue - a truly spectacular piece. Thank YOU for all you've done and continue to do to honor our Service Members and Veterans with your breathtaking quilting.

    ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This quilt makes a wonderful statement. It is sure to be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning. Do you quilt for others?

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful quilt!! Beautiful machine quilting. I'm curious as to why you use two battings. Perhaps you can address that in a blog post???

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, beautiful quilting! Thanks for all the detail photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilting is just stunning! We are quickly running out of adjectives with all your lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is stunning! An absolutely beautiful tribute to those who serve our country.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this quilt may just be the MOST beautiful I have ever seen. Your quilting is superb. Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sue your Freedom quilt is stunning beyond words!! And I will have to side with you I like option 1 best :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It turned out spectacular! Beautiful work--you should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Option 1, definitely.
    Your quilting is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your Freedom quilt is stunning. What a labor of love. This will definitely let a brave service man or woman know how much they are appreciated and loved. I vote for option 1, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your freedom quilt is magnificent. Whoever receives this will be getting a true heirloom. For the log cabin quilt, I vote for number one as well. I think option two would make me dizzy after looking at it for a bit. There is just too much movement in it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sue your Freedom quilt is beyond words and am sure the recipient will appreciate it. the quilting is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Freedom Quilt is beautiful, Sue.
    I like option 1 for the log cabin quilt. Quiltmakers without quilts on their beds are like the proverbial shoemakers' children who go barefoot!

    ReplyDelete
  24. An Amazing Quilt.Log Cabin #1 gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sue your quilting is absolutely stunning! I really love what you wrote too: "There isn't a lot that I can do, so I do what I can and that is to quilt." It is very much how I feel!
    This log cabin of yours is going to be awesome - either version. I've never seen one done in shot cotton, but you can't go wrong with that! It will give it a timeless look.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow!!! That is just an amazing work of art!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The quilt is stunning. That quilting. Wow... I just sat here and look at it and wished that I could just pop into your house to touch that beauty. There's going to be a soldier somewhere that it is going to feel so blessed just running his/her hands all over that quilting.
    Good luck with your log cabin quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow. Just wow. The Freedom quilt is beyond stunning and I know it will be treasured. I really like both of your log cabin design options but the 2nd one gets my vote as it is so different. Good luck with whichever you end up choosing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your quilting on the freedom quilt is stunning! What an amazing piece of art. As for your log cabin quilt, I would definitely vote for option 1.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your quilt, Sue - the stitching is stunning! I'm so humbled to realize I have one of your works of art in my own home. And personally, I love the first log cabin layout you showed - the star was a surprise!! Hope you're having a wonderful holiday weekend - whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your quilt is stunning. What a beautiful gift. I like option 1.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sue, this quilt is stunning - just STUNNING! I'm still blowing photos up and soaking up the quilting details. The recipient is going to be overwhelmed, I am sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I always visit to see what and how you are quilting, but I don't leave many comments. This quilt and your quilting are amazing. I got a little cold chill when I read about it. Someone will truly love this. As far as the log cabin quilt, I like option #1, always like stars.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, comments and questions welcome!