Sunday, September 14, 2014

I need a nap! Four finishes this week!

I can't believe everything that got done this weekend.  I had 4 quilts on the ready to be quilted list - they got done!  Two more pillowcases that are just super cute and another top waiting to be quilted.  Take a look:
Big Star 
Big Star Back - love flannel on the back, such great definition
Disappearing Hour Glass (DHG) - All Flannel
quilted with stars
Extra Block on the back, I think I like the back better than the front :)
Jelly Roll Jam Baby Quilt
Super Cute panto, flowers leaves and swirls, all those busy fabrics and you can't see it, but it is really cute
Jelly Roll Jam Back - still can't see it, cozy flannel on the back
Ok here's the specs on the quilts complete - all these are for 100 quilts for kids.  Big Star free pattern here .  Pantograph is Double Bubble by Patricia Ritter.  I thought that worked well with the polka dots.  I actually made two of these.  One is going to Project Linus the other to a not for profit day care center in Churubusco, IN. Glide thread on top, and magna glide bobbin thread.  There was a scrap of polyester batting that I used for this, might be Hobbs Poly down, looks like a bit of loft on this one.

DHG Pattern free here  I used a bunch of flannel scraps from different backings on this, front and back. The quilt is all flannel, definitely has the snuggle factor that's for sure.  Pantograph is Simply Stars by Stonehouse quilting.   Glide thread on top, and magna glide bobbin thread.  Hobbs 80/20 batting.

Jelly Roll Jam free pattern here Glide thread on top, and magna glide bobbin thread.  Hobbs 80/20 batting, nice flannel on the back. Pantograph is Flower Swirls by Debra Geissler.

How's that for a week of finishes!!

I did have some help this weekend, we had strings and blocks and things flying.  I pulled out the basket o'fun.  That is just so full of strings.  And we got this top.  The little guy was picking the strings, one ironing, one cutting and one sewing and before you know it, you have a 11 in blocks done, and then the quilt top is together.  Rather than doing just plain string blocks, we did string log cabins.  Started with a 2.5 in square then just kept going around and around until the block was the right size.  The log cabins we stopped at 9.5 in blocks (unfinished) then added 1.5 in white around them (unfinished size) and then a 1 in sashing.  20 blocks and you have a nice size quilt.  I love how bright and cheery this is, just like my helpers :)  This one is going to Project Linus as well.
What fun to have so many helpers!!
Log Cabin Strings
Two pillow cases which are so super sweet.  These are for Conker Cancer
Here's the totals for this week - 100 quilts for kids is running until 9/30, so I have time to see if  I can get a couple more.

  • Pillowcases ready to go 15 (+2 from last week) - for Conker Cancer 
  • Quilts ready to go (6) (+3 from last week) - for Project Linus
  • Pillowcases cut and ready to sew (6)
  • Quilts ready to be quilted (1)
  • Quilts cut and ready to sew (2)

33 comments:

  1. You HAVE been busy and for such worthwhile causes too!! I hope ya get that nap you deserve!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the back of your DHG quilt but I also LOVE the front.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always so many great and fun projects going on at your place - and more fun to sew when you have helpers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You have been so productive making beautiful quilts. I think the disappearing hourglass is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilts for a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lot to get done. And they all are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You deserve that nap-go ahead I give you permission! Great projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You definitely deserve a nap! Maybe you'll test-nap one of these great quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job this week. Do you work outside of the home? I'm impressed with all the quilts but I'm particularly interested in the cute crazy log cabin. The extra white and the sashing makes it work so well. Amazing. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No kidding about the nap - great finishes. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have been busy!! Love the quilts! The texture on the big star is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...quite an impressive week. Love those log cabin string blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're smoking with all that fast work. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, look at all the things you have accomplished this week! Well done! Love that lob cabin quilt you had some help with

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your log cabin quilt. Congrats with all these finishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a lot of work! I love the string log cabin blocks. Thanks for sharing at KIMIF linky party at http://moderntraditionquilts.blogspot.com. FYI I'm going to change that linky to bi-weekly as I wasn't getting enough participation. :)--Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your string log cabin blocks are wonderful: simple yet so full of energy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like you've been really busy! Love the look of all the fabrics you've chose to put put together! I have a Disappearing hour glass on my to-do list, but not sure when I'll get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful creative and generous projects you've got going on. I'm sure they will be loved.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! What a crazy productive week! Excellent work, and very generous of you to do so much for those in need.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice, I appreciate all the work you put into your charity items. They are so worth the effort and always much appreciated. Don't think you will get that nap till your to-do list is done. Congrats on all the production

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, so productive! Love the star quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow did you get a lot done!! The log cabin quilt is sure cute and how fun to have all those assistants!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that you chose flannel for some of the kid's quilts. It is so cuddly. The swirl pattern you use for quilting is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! You sure have been productive! Beautiful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  26. you're on a (jelly) roll girl!! LeeAnna at not afraid of color

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing and cozy looking finishes all, Sue! You are a wonder woman! Love that scrappy log cabin top, too. You had some pretty cute helpers this week! Nice job and for such a worthy cause! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Adding your Big Star to my ideas list for a new baby boy quilt (though maybe not rainbow, but I *adore* dots and love yours!). Lovely finishes, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow - big week of finished alright! Love the giant star - so fun and bright. Love the log cabin blocks too. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful quilts for a great cause absolutely love the spotty star amazing and the quilting is stunning, Quilty hugs

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, comments and questions welcome!