Monday, February 17, 2014

I"m only seeing rainbows - no snow, nope no snow

Oh man 8 more inches projected today. Well I've got the day off, 3 different kind of soups in the freezer and the sewing machine is ready to go.  I was think of Spring and made a couple of rainbow baby quilts.  I'll post the patterns by next week.  I was using some of the material that I got at the estate sale of a quilter, oh what fun that was.  She loved the bright colors and I'm still using them!  The first one I'm calling Over the Rainbow, wish I would have had one more color, but eh I still like it even though that purple is hanging out there.  When I do the pattern, it won't be hanging :)
Over the Rainbow
over the rainbow detailed quilting
Over the rainbow black
 This one is still in progress, I'm calling it Slices of color.   This came from my stash and a Joanne's Jelly Roll that I couldn't resist.  But I will next time, that was the absolutely worst cut jelly roll I have EVER had.  Not one of them was cut straight and they ranged any where from 2.75 to 2 in width. Very disappointing.  But hey a little trimming here and there and I've got splashes of color everywhere!!  Just need to get two more borders on this one and I'm done. UPDATE - Slices of color done!  Update 2 - I've added the pattern (pdf only) to the tutorial and eq7 tab
Slices of color
Ok bring on the snow, where's my sewing machine?  I've got the machine, the computer for all sorts of inspiration, and I'm ready to go.  Check out the linky parties on the side bar, you won't be disappointed!

26 comments:

  1. All the solid fabrics look so fresh looking. What will I do with all my printed stash? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rainbow goodness EVERYWHERE! Love, love, love them both! The quilting on the Over the Rainbow is beautiful and such a compliment to the design. Great job, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love a great rainbow! Can't wait to see how you quilt them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't bought any pre-cuts at Joannes - thanks for the tip though and I will resist - I don't live near one anyone but now and then stop when I go to N. Little Rock although now that my daughter has moved back to our area there is no reason to go there anymore :) love the quilt - it is so colorful - hope your snow stops soon - my other daughter lives in WI and she is expecting snow too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quilting on a fun bright quilt -- Over the Rainbow. Love how you used the straight lines and then added the horizontal for the squares. Excellent plan. Are you going to post the directions? And the second one is looking good too. Hum, I wonder if I have enough solids to copy one of your ideas. Probably none that are such fun, bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're getting 6 inches here--after the school bus left. I hope the kiddies get home safely. Your over the rainbow quilt is just what the doctor ordered. Beautiful!! Spring can't come soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the solid colors (they are beautiful). Such a sweet baby quilt. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Over The Rainbow is delicious! I'll be looking for your pattern. The quilting pattern is perfect. Such a lucky find with the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your "Over the Rainbow" Quilt. It does brighten the day for sure! And your quilting is wonderful. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome rainbow. As usual you did an excellent job

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the slices of color. and I know what you mean about joanne's... I warn my students agains their terrible fabric all the time. sometimes you can find something nice there, but only if you know what you're looking for...

    ReplyDelete
  12. The perfect inspiration for spring! They are wonderful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those quilts are both wonderful - love the rainbow colors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've yet been one to try the straight line quilting...I SO LOVE IT esp. as you did here....guess that's why I"m still a long arm newbie!!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these quilts, especially Over the Rainbow! You sure do have a great sense of how to use color! Thanks for sharing your wonderful creations today!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Quilting with solids...I'm feeling courageous...so I've actually started a quilt with SOME solids :) Great designs...I'm glad I've found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love them both and thanks for the info on that bad jelly roll. I'll avoid them too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Terrific! I especially like the first one, and the grid quilting.
    I don't buy jelly rolls....I'll cut my own strips, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had to come back...as I missed your slices of color and saw it in a linky party! (Guess I was too busybefore admiring your quilting!) SMILES being sent your way!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the quilting of your rainbow quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are great! I love the shock of colour and your quilting is super. Well done!

    http://www.busyneedle.ch

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the rainbow quilt! Great quilting to complement it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. OH, I really love both of your quilts. I'm a bright color person too. They look so refreshing and fun to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sue, I love those quilts!! Love the grid quilting too.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, comments and questions welcome!