Sunday, February 21, 2016

The last of the Feb Finishes

I dunno how it happened, but I have two more finishes for Feb.  Wow, what is going on here?  I've been stalled for the past 6 months or so and now the finishes are coming out of the woodwork. Well ok so I've been working on these for quite some time.....But a finish is a finish!!
Big Rigs for Big Boys 

Yep - where's all the crazy quiltin???

I"m guessing the back is going to get more use that the front, trains, planes, helpicopters, cars...oh boy
First up is the Big Rig quilt.  This little guy saw me working in the sewing room one day and asked what I was working on. I told him a quilt and he looked up at me with those big eyes full of excitement and said "For me???".  I asked him if he need a new quilt and he had no hesitation at all, very promptly replied "Yes".  When I asked him what he wanted on his quilt almost as quickly as the "yes" he said "Trucks". Here you have his Big Rig Quilt.  This guy had a sleep over this weekend and was so excited to see his quilt top done.  I think he was actually more excited about the backing (which is super cute for a 4 year little dude).  He was so excited to show everyone.  I wish I could have sent it home with him, but it just wasn't done before he had to leave.  No worries, he'll get it next week.  Notice the lack of detailed quilting shots?  Well that's cuz I only did stitch in the ditch and around the applique.  My goodness do you know how hard it is to NOT quilt something like crazy?  I caved and at least had to quilt a road for those big rigs but that's it.  Man took every ounce of will power not to quilt more and more and more. The ideas racing through my head.....This is  a twin size quilt for Mr Smiles twin size bed.  Hobbs Poly Down batting, and filtec invisible thread on top, So Fine in the bobbin.





And then there's this one.  I really want a broken dishes quilt.  I think I have a boat load of 2.5 in squares and I just just make one with them.  I tried with these Joel Dewberry prints and it was just too wild next to each other.  I separated them a bit and I think it calms it down a bit.  I did some custom ruler work on this one so soften up all the lines, but not too much.  I'm saving the crazy ridiculous quilting for the swoon quilt which is almost done.  Here's my broken dishes.  I think this will be my first Hands2Help quilt this year.  Check the side bar, it's starting soon. This is my favorite time of year!!   Ploydown Batting, Glide thread, size is 68 x 80, nice size, cozy flannel on the back.
Block 1

Blocke 2

Block 3

all three blocks

And I started the Splendid Sampler, we'll see how long I can keep up.  Three down 97 to go.  It's a challenge that's for sure.

Check out all the linky parties on the side bar. I think there might be a couple more this week.  Anyone know of any long arm linky parties?  I'd really like to join a couple of those.   

22 comments:

  1. What a fun quilt for a boy.
    I saw someone at Sew Day with a heart block like that. I'm starting to think I am missing something!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a quilt something like that for my grandson when he was little and did the quilting around the roads and things - he loved it - I imagine it was hard to not put in more seeing as you normally put in a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilts as always! I am joining in on the Splendid saner myself. But there is a lot if piecing in a tiny little block!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Sue!
    I saw the question about longarm linky parties. Though I don't know of any, I'd be willing to start one. Any suggestions for the format? email me at quiltfabrication (at) gmail (dot) com
    Susan @ quiltfabrication

    ReplyDelete
  5. That truck quilt is adorable and so much fun! Keep cranking out those finishes - they look great. :) Thanks for sharing on MCM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quilt finishes! I bet it was oh so hard not to quilt up that rig quilt, but you did it and your grandson will love it. As to your question, the only quilting linky I know of if Free Motion Mavericks. I love it, and you do too, based on your sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big Rig quilt is really cute! I really love the twin quilt, such simple blocks but using modern fabric make beautiful quilt. And your quilting is just stunning ;))

    ReplyDelete
  8. That big boys quilt is too cute and I love your blocks and fabric choices for The Splendid Sampler. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome finishes! It feels wonderful to finish...now you can start something else!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely quilt!!! Splendid sampler blocks look also good! I think I'll start it also :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are on a roll! That truck quilt is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What lovely finished quilts Sue! I love the quilting on the second one. It looks great from the front but spectacular from the back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great finishes! Isn't it the best when you finish a bunch of stuff all at the same time? I love that! And great start on the splendid sample- I love purple and green together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Two more wonderful finishes! I like the simplicity of the quilting in the first quilt. It suits it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute! I love how your border looks like a road.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it. The perfect quilt for a little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on the finishes!! The minimal quilting really works on the Big Rig quilt, and I bet both sides will get used--one during the day and one at night. So fun that he will be able to snuggle in his play mat. I love the quilting on your Broken Dishes quilt and the color scheme on your Splendid Sampler.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that baby boy quilt! The colors are awesome, and I am sure it will keep him warm and entertained!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice big rig quilt. All those circles caught my eye, I like how they stand out. The road border is also really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Sue,
    Great to hear that the trucks quilt is loved so much before it is even finished! The colours on the second quilt are beautiful!
    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks!
    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, comments and questions welcome!