Sunday, January 31, 2016

Two Fun Finishes

I love baby quilts. They are so fun, so quick and you can try out all sorts of new things.  These two are for the twins that are due in April.  I got to try out quite a few new motifs.  I wanted something different on each quilt and different in each strip.  I think I did pretty good.  That wasn't the plan at first.  Rarely does my original plan actually look much like the finished product.  I wanted to do an all over free motion design with an elongated swirl and then echoing a few times in all the strips.  I hated it.  Took me ten minutes to quilt and 3 hours to rip it all out.  But really I didn't like it.  Then I decide ok, since fast and easy wasn't going to work might as up the complexity level, something different in each strip.  I got a little lazy on a few, just quilted the fabric, hey it works.  The zig-zag on Calvin's is interesting as it looks like different fabric on each side of the quilt doesn't it?  I quilted on the green line on one side, and the white line on the other.  The shadows make it look different.  I really didn't, and still don't, like the green peas in the first green strip of Calvin's but I just wasn't going to rip that out.  I don't think he'll mind :)  One of the arrows in the bottom of Calvin's the point is way off center.  Again I wasn't going to rip it out.  But the key lesson here, is that if you just look at those one individual things they may not look all that great.  But mix them up with everything else in the quilt and you might not even notice.  Now that I told you, it may be all that you notice!! I hate when that happens.  Details on the quilts, they both have Hobb's 80/20 batting, Premo soft thread on top, magna glide in the bobbins and super soft minky on the back.  Just love how the quilting shows up with minky. The fox is from The Red Boot Quilt Company, super cute. I had so much fun with these.  Can't wait it meet these two little guys.

Something different in each strip. Sometimes just using the fabric pattern was good and of course there had to be feathers

A little ruler work

Not that happy with the numbers, but I don't think Louis will mind.  If he does, I"ll make him a new quilt :)

Sweet little fox

Loved picking out the pants for the fox

super soft minky on the back

Love how that looks.  Hobbs 80/20 batting, magna glide in the bobbin, premo soft thread on top

Here's Calivin's, can't wait to meet them both

ruler work feathers, nothing but pure fun

The argyle pants are my favorite.  

Just using the fabric on these for the quilting motif in the striped and zig zag strips.  The zig zag looks totally different on the other side, the only difference is quilting on the green line vs the white. The shadows make all the difference
 

See pea pods thingys in the green, I really don't like it, but just left it and it's fine with everything else.  The zig zag looks totally different on the other side, the only difference is quilting on the green line vs the white. The shadows make all the difference
One got numbers the other letters.  


love the back of this one
And what do you do with the left over minky?  Why you make burp cloths!  The burp cloths that I made that match the quilts are with a towel which is ok.  But those minky burp cloths, wow, you could wipe my face any time with those.  I've got a few different scraps of minky left and will definitely make a few more. Here's a free pattern that I used, quick and easy. When the babies are done with them, they'll make the cutest dust cloths



Just a little progress on the quilt that has plan but isn't suppose to look like it has a plan.  Sheesh this looking like there is no plan is really time consuming!!  When I think improv and no plan, I think cut sew, cut, sew and boom you're done.  That is not how this one is going.  It's slow moving, only 4 more rows to go.  I've the got the true improv quilt on the frame, pretty excited to get started on the  graffiti quilting.


ready for some graffiti quilting, trying to pick a thread that will blend in yet I still want to be able to see it.

Done' forget to check out the linky parties on the side bar. I added a couple of new ones.

33 comments:

  1. I love what you created! Lucky little fellas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omgosh, adorable!! and the quilting is gorgeous. do the quilts still cuddle after all the quilting or do they stand up by themselves? I'm just wondering, in case i start doing heavy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute always love circles - I do have a question and do not mean any criticism - I wonder with so much quilting is the quilt still nice and soft and cuddle when washed or is it a little stiffer then when not as much quilting is put in a quilt - I do little machine quilting so truly just wonder on it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spectacular baby quilts! Your quilting is fabulous. Such lucky babies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always nail the quilting! What treasures these quilts are. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilting literally transform a quilt Sue!! Love the number two especially.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The twins quilts are fabulous! If there are errors, you really don't see them. Congrats on finishing up both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh boy!! those are chock full of fun quilting and ideas... I think I might have to imitate you a little - you know that's the most sincere form of flattery, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilting on these Sue! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilting gets better and better and better. I love that perky little fox!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, that is a lot of quilting on baby quilts, but spectacular. I would not call it quick and easy though. I don't even do that much quilting on my big bed size quilts. The fabrics, quilting and overall look of these two quilts are jaw dropping. They will love them even when they grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great baby quilts! Your quilting is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt is absolutely beautiful. I love the pattern and your color scheme. And the quilting is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The quilting is amazing on the baby quilts. I've made those burp cloths as well but not with minky.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dang girl! The quilting on those baby quilts is fab-u-lous, and I love how it shows on the back. Those are two lucky babies! Thanks so much for sharing on MCM. Oh, and have fun on your planned/unplanned improv quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilting is just fantastic! Those baby quilts are so freakin' adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are one very talented long armer. I always like to see what you've done. I also spent a bit of time on the Long Arm tab (or whatever it is called.) I found several designs that I'd like to add to my collection. Thanks for showing so many.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What great baby quilts! The quilting is amazing! Thanks for linking up

    ReplyDelete
  19. What cute quilts. The babies will love them!

    Sue, I have a question \about your Smith Mountain Morning quilt. Using your nieces BDU's, were they difficult to work with and is the quilt pretty stiff? I was thinking about making one with my son's, but he thought it wouldn't be very soft. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your quilting is always amazing! I can't wait to see where you end up with that triangle quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing quilting. Brilliant idea to quilt different patterns in each row.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute quilts and great quilting as usual Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Those baby quilts are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow. Just WOW! On the quilt, the quilting - all of it! it's amazing - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm back, this time from Free Motion Mavericks. Glad I came back because I noticed even more! Love how you quilted those large circles with a river of quilting running over them. So much more interesting than quilting them in their entirety. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The quilting on the baby quilts is amazing!! I love all the movement and interest created by using a different design in each stripe. I love the burp cloths too...very useful and pretty at the same time. Thanks for linking to TGIFF :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow your quilting is just amazing! There is so much to look at and it all goes so well together. Just beautiful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those twin quilts are fantastic! I love the designs on the front, but the way they show up on the back is just really amazing. (Ha, I just glanced up at the previous comments. It would appear amazing is the operative word here today.) I haven't used minky, but this makes me think I'm really missing out on something. I bet those burp cloths feel heavenly. And I agree with you: making something look unplanned is definitely time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  29. A great quilt with fantastic quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello Sue,
    These are gorgeous little quilts, and I love the green peas.
    Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks!
    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, comments and questions welcome!