Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Final sail on the Black Sea

It's done, it's done.  I mean really done, binding is complete, better pictures, just has to be delivered. If you've been here in the past few months, you've heard a lot about this quilt, and I was sticking to it doing this and one other project together.  But when it comes to quilting, I've got a one track mind.  Now I can get back to getting the other project together. I did get some better pictures today,  but first it's time for the full story.

The pattern - Aegean Sea by Judy Martin.  I first saw this quilt over at Tamarack Shack   I loved it for the pattern but Kathy's quilting was burned in my memory.  I really loved the round feather wreaths she did in the white spaces.  It gave such motion  and enhanced an already spectacular quilt so wonderfully.  I knew when I saw this, after I stared and studied it for over an hour, that I wanted to make this quilt just so I could quilt it.  Two and half years later, I finally got my chance.

There is a warm hearted soul at work.  This guy has given me bags and bags of old shirts.  I've used them in Quilts of Valor, quilts for Happy Chemo, quilts for Project Linus and yes even some gifts for friends and family.  I know I've made over 15 donation quilts with his shirts and have enough to make 15 more.  This guy is interested in everyone, he makes everyone feel as though there is something special about them.  He chatted with one of the homeless guys by the train and one day on his way home he noticed that the homeless man didn't have any shoes.  He gave him his shoes and went home in his socks.  That's the kind of guy he is.  So he literally gave the shirt off his back because he knew they would be used to comfort someone that truly needed it.  I knew I wanted to make a quilt for Doug, but it had to be special.  You know how it is waiting for that special quilt to be created, time went by and no quilt.  Finally he asked me if I could make a quilt for his newly decorated room, you know just sew some squares together.  LOL, when you really want a special quilt, plain squares just won't do.  You need to cut that material into itty bitty pieces and then sew it all back together and quilt it like crazy.  And then it hit me, Aegan Sea, it was time.  I showed him Kathy's quilt and he said ok, if that's what you want to make.  He had no idea how badly I wanted to make this quilt.  There was one other special person that I made a quilt for, and I showed her the pattern, she didn't like it, she got a different quilt.   But finally, I had a taker.  He did want just black and grey.   Thus the name Black Sea.  I talked him into that tiny hint of blue in the stars to make them sparkle, for which he gave me three shirts. Funny right?  I wasn't too sure how that was going to work, but the in the end I really love it.  That is the story of how this quilt came to be.

Details of the quilt -

  • Pattern Aegean Sea by Judy Martin - the book only had queen size, I just added another column of "great blocks" for 3x3 rather than 2x3, (now that was one big nine patch) and two borders:  one background material, six inches finished, one log cabin blocks.
  • size 120 x 120, 118 x 118 after quilting.  
  • I think there are close to 65 different fabrics in her, at least 8 of them are the recipients shirts
  • Batting Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 (my favorite batting of all time, love this stuff).  It is a heavy quilt though, and probably should have gone for Polydown.  But I wanted the softer feel of cotton batting with all that quilting.
  • Thread - lots of thread!!  Filtec Premo soft warm grey (50 wt)  on top and Superior Bottom Line (60 wt) in the bobbin.  It's been a while since I've wound my own bobbins.  I think this quilt took 24 bobbins.  Now that's a lot of thread.  
  • No idea how many hours it took because when you're having fun creating something you don't even think about the time it takes.  

Now time for pictures.  I'm gonna miss this one on my frame.
Taken at Crystal Lake Beach, the closest I was getting to the Black Sea 

Added border - I wanted something shell like, circular and flowing
I really wanted the stars to shine brightly, framing them worked well.
This is what I think ties it all together, that circular wreath gives it motion and feels like rolling waves.  And really what else would I do besides feathers?


Plain grey on the back
The stars look quite different on the back don't they?
And there you have my Friday Finish on Thursday - woohoo!!!  Don't  you love the feeling of finishing a quilt that you were excited to make and quilt. The feeling of accomplishment is awesome.  This is my second king size quilt this year.  I'm so ready for some smaller projects for a little while.

30 comments:

  1. Sue, you have absolutely stitched a stunner here!!! I'm still drooling - it's gorgeous!!! I love that you followed through on your original inspiration and created your dream, even though it took a while for it to come to fruition. Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the most beautiful quilts I have seen. Your quilting is just stunning. I love the pattern, the fabric, the quilting, everything. What a wonderful gift for a wonderfully kind person. Congratulations on your spectacular finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, Black Sea is absolutely gorgeous!! The quilting is just fabulous and it has been fun watching this quilt progress! Doug sounds like an amazing man! I just love the pops of blue in the quilt and the fact that they came from Doug's shirts is so special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Once again, you have outdone yourself. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. stunning. I hope you take time to post a picture on Judy Martin's website. This is so "over the top".

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing! What a beautiful, stunner! The quilting is just amazing and it does tie it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue, this is an amazing quilt from the piecing to the over the top quilting. Doug, being an over the top amazing guy, is going to be gonzo bonkers for it. :) Thank you for taking all the great photos!! I can't wait to hear about his reaction. Thanks!! ~ Christina

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful story. Everyone is a winner in this one. You just might have to ask for visitation rights once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visiting from Needle and Thready Thursday -- that quilting is amazing, and the pattern is neat. I was also touched by your comments about your friend -- if only we could all be that kind and open to helping others. What a world this would be. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the quilt and the story! Isn't it great when you find the right quilt for the right person!

    ReplyDelete
  11. have loved watching this quilts journey and it is certainly a stunner. A wonderful story of why and who the recipient is. Doug sounds like one amazing guy and I am sure he will love 'his squares sewn together!!'

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I am practically speechless. This quilt is absolutely stunning. So glad he liked the pattern so I could see you make it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG!! this is incredible! the quilting just takes it over the top!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! That is absolutely stunning! The whole thing is amazing, and the fact that you used some of his shirts to make it makes it even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Sue! That quilt and the quilting are a-m-a-z-i-n-g. AMAZING. You have outdone yourself for a very special friend. Can't wait to hear what he says when you give it to him

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really spectacular! I loved watching it come together and thought it was a beautiful quilt. But, the quilting takes it that step beyond to something really special. Congrats on a great finish. I think your friend is going to be blown away by this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Gorgeous! Congrats on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sue, this is just gorgeous. I'm a major Judy Martin fan and Tamarack Shack fan, and Sue Dario fan, and this quilt, and especially the story behind it, just makes me want to run out and make one of my own. Your work is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a stunning quilt! I know your friend will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a beautiful quilt and what wonderful quilting. This is a real treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous top and even more outstanding quilting! You are awesomely talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is fantastic!! Thanks for sharing it at TGIFF as well. I saw this one at Kathy's blog, too, and loved it then. Loving it all over again! Nice transition to a king size.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know I already commented once but I just now read the story behind the making of this quilt. You are so awesome to bestow this beautiful quilt on this deserving human being. We should all be more like the both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful quilt and your quilting is just awesome. Funny....I saw your quilt, found and bought the book. This one is on my list. Will have to study yours more. Great story, beautiful quilt for a beautiful man.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome in every way! I'm a friend of yours from the APQS forum, and I have to say this is such an inspirational piece of love and skill. Well done, and Doug will absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You couldn't have quilted it any better-just gorgeous!!! So happy you got to make this quilt and it sounds like it is going to a well deserved person-always a good feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Stunning! What a lovely gift for Doug~he sounds like a wonderful person :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, comments and questions welcome!