Sunday, March 13, 2011

Design wall Monday - it's all about QST's this weekend.

Wow, what a sewing weekend - no machine quilting at all!!  It was wonderful and quite productive I think.  I've a picture of my husbands quilt to be on my blog to inspire me.  I really need to get started on that.  Enough of the fun with the baby quilts, it's time to get serious. Well maybe for a weekend or two.

Baby Girl quilts, I just couldn't wait for someone to have a baby girl and I wanted to finish up what I had left of the Hoopla fat quarter bundle.  I saw Summer Breeze in Quilters World magazine and just had to make that one and the Hoopla fabrics were great for that patter.  I made 2 of these, one for my baby shower stash and one for project linus.  The pattern actually has a lovely scalloped border, but I'm just going to finish it off with a bright scrappy binding.  It's already a nice size for a baby quilt and one more border might make it a bit big.  That and I'm all out of the Hoopla fabric and don't want to buy more!!  Don't the lady bugs just make the quilt?  I absolutely love them!  I think I'm going to put a few flowers and lady bugs on the back as well.





I also made progress on a UFO.  It started out as a string quilt.  This is made from 1.5 inch strips.  I was make the string blocks which were QSTs but after 10 got tired of making them (the thrill just left me).  Cyber quilters has project this month for HST/QST, so I decided to incorporate some QSTs rather than making more string blocks.  Four QSTs with a 1.5 inch around those, puts it at a 10 inch block like the string blocks.  I had enough for the center and then ran really low on strips that I had left.  I had some left over scraps from the string blocks so I was able to get a border all the way around it.  But after I kept looking at it, it needed more.  It's pastel, but still not really good for a baby quilt so it needed to be larger.  I went out and got a few fat quarters and will put a few more borders on it to make a size good enough to take to soccer games this Spring.  That dark pink strip is killing me though!! I may just applique over it.  I should have taken it out of the bunch, but thought, hey Moda knows a little more about this than I do.  We'll see if it grows on me, but I'm thinking it's not gonna.

6 comments:

  1. You had a good sewing weekend. I love both quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilts, the baby one is soo cute, I love the ladybirds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving the ladybugs. They are my favorite. I have them all over and they are just too fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable ladybug quilt! I think if that fabric annoys you, you should definitely take the time to remove it...it will always make you not love the quilt like you could (speaking from experience!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to Judy L. I found your blog. Love the ladybugs and I love the little boy braid quilt. Very cute! Toni

    ReplyDelete
  6. That baby girl quilt is just adorable. Almost makes me wish I would have another baby and have a girl!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, comments and questions welcome!