Friday, May 17, 2019

Dance of the Dragonflies and Snowman A to ZZZ

Will you look at Ann's beautiful quilt????  This just glows from the center out.  The fabrics are incredible and so vibrant. The last border is dragonfly wings that are laced with gold, ya just gotta see it in person!!
Dance of the Butterflies
I had a lot of fun with this one, lots and lots of free motion quilting.  I wanted to push the background back so there is some really dense quilting, some fluffy leafy feathers and lots of pebbles.  Note to self - next time use a slightly different color thread.  I used 60 wt Bottom Line thread for the back ground and it matched pretty well. There were a couple of time I had to get some side lighting so I could see what was quilted and what wasn't!  Some gold metallic thread would have looked incredible right?  I'm just not that brave. The dragonflies were just outlined so they look a bit trapunto-ish, like they are hovering over the quilt. Two layers of batting helped with that look, 80/20 on the bottom and wool on top
60 wt bottom line thread in the background

two layers of batting to give extra fluff in the wings - Hobbs 80/20 and Hobbs Wool





The last border I wanted something dragonfly wing-ish to match the fabric and I think I got it!! I used the Circle 2 rulers (seriously love these rulers) for the orange peel and then filled with a braid like pattern trying to get the feel of  the wings, add the echo on the outside and the fans and looks like those wings are fluttering.  That was the only ruler work on this one.  What a fun quilt!

Little bit of ruler wok on the last border - what fun!!
Then I went from summer fun to winter wonderland with Sandra's snowman quilt.  Oh my, will you look at that embroidery???  wow!!  I used an 80 wt thread, wonderfil deco bob, on this, I didn't want anything to compete with her beautiful handwork.  She likes a little less quilting so I just outlined the embroidery like applique and did some over all snowflakes.  Added a computerized edge to edge on the snow flake border and called it done!   Sandra always amazes me with her embroidery! Batting is hobbs 80/20, just enough snowman puff.
Snowman A to ZZZ by Crabapple Hill Studio 

Hobbs 80/20 Batting
80 wt Wonderfil Deco Bob thread top and bottom





Hope you have a great quilty week, don't forget to stop by the linky parties for some wonderful inspiration!!

10 comments:

  1. isnt' that a neat quilt - I have a pattern that has a dragon like that and of course it is sitting aside in a box and I have never gotten it out to make - I keep saying "one day"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue! WOWEE - that dragonfly quilt. On its own, it is fabulous but your quilting took it to another stratosphere. Those dragonflies stand out just perfectly and are totally the star of the show. It is breathtakingly beautiful. And, I am so interested in how you quilted the snowman piece. We used to do a ton of cross stitch (had a shop actually) and I have a few pieces that I made into a quilt. They have yet to be quilted because I have no idea what to do with them, and they are from around 1992 or so. Long enough that they have been well chilled and should be brought out into the open and enjoyed finally. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilting is amazing! Once again I have saved your pictures for inspiration for quilting when I get the A to Z Snowmen finished. But first I need to start it. The dragonflies is gorgeous! You did an amazing job highlighting them. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely amazing, both very different, and the colours in those dragonflies defies any words I can find,.Then your quilting gives them both the finish of all times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love that Dragonfly quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dragonfly quilt is absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dragonfly quilt is terrific! I really like how you quilted the outer border. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilting on both tops! Very inspirational to see your work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dragon flies are amazing. Your quilting accent them so well. Thanks for linking up with Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those dragonflies are absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, comments and questions welcome!