Friday, December 21, 2018

Adelina's emotionally charged quilt - Hope

I finished Adelina's quilt this week.  It's everything a quilt should be, beautiful colors, wonderful pattern and filled with so much loved.  I just want to take a couple of minutes to tell the story of the quilt and I hope you will be as moved by me. This quilt was made by Adelina for a young woman named Abby.   Adelina's known Abby for a very long time, her son went to grade school with Abby's brother and the two of them are still friends.  Abby's a senior in high school, she's active in school, runs cross country plays on the volleyball team.  A young woman ready to plunge into adulthood.  Do you remember being a Sr in High School? You knew your life was going to change, you may have been so excited or a little afraid to go to school, start a job, but life as you knew it was full of possibilities and all you had to do was choose and go after it.  It 's a great time of life.

Abby however received some news that put a little bump in that road.  She has leukemia.  She is strong, she has a wonderful support system with her family and friends.  The young woman will go to Chicago for Chemo treatments then stop back at school for volleyball practice or what ever is going on and be with them.  Even if she can only practice for a few minutes being with her friends and team members gives her strength,  I've never met Abby, but I can tell you while I quilted this quilt, I cried, I prayed, I respected her and I hope that God will watch over her, protect her and heal her. Hope is what I felt for this young woman.

Adelina wanted her to know the love of her friends and made this very unique signature quilt.  It's a brilliant idea!  She took it to school and some friends and team mates signed it.  The love  that was written truly touched my heart.  Tissues' were always close by when I quilted this one!!  She knew there were still more to sign so we decided to place a ribbon in the blocks that had no signatures at this time, When the quilt was completed, that would give a great place for friends and family to sign.  One person drew a heat in a corner. As soon as I saw that I knew which ribbon to use, this ribbon is from Sweet Dreams Quilt Studio, Amber.  That was the inspiration for how the rest of the quilt would be quilted.

Details on the quilt - Bottom line in bobbin, in white and black areas.  Glide 60wt a medium grey in the color blocks. I knew there was going to be a lot of quilting so I wanted a thinner ,softer thread.   Quilters Dream Wool batting - oh my, there is no batting as soft as quilters dream.  This is why the puff is so yummy on this quilt.  I purposely didn't quilt a  lot where there were signatures.  You can feel the quilting and you can feel when there isn't quilting and I wanted he to be able to feel where people signed, like little hugs from those that love her and care for her.  This quilt is a big one, it took about 20 hrs to complete the quilting just meandering feathers, leaves, hearts.  The backing is super soft sateen, I think that is my very favorite backing, just love it!!

So that's the story of this quilt, of this amazing woman who pushes to beat this disease and return to the brilliant future ahead of her.  Abby I wish you all the best and in the inspirational words of Adelina "The best view is after the hardest climb" .  As so many have said, be strong, know you are loved, know you are protected and God is watching over you.  I pray this quilt wraps you in love and warmth and helps to ease the pain.  Your actions of strength left me with overwhelming Hope.  Thank you.







Please check out all the linky parties on the side bar, so much inspiration out there!

Well I'm getting caught up almost.....3 clues done, 4 should be done before Santa arrives!


Wishing every one a bright and Merry Christmas, however you celebrate!
Image result for merry christmas

14 comments:

  1. A stunning quilt! I know Abby will feel loved by this touching gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! and the quilting around the signatures looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Sue... your quilting is perfect for this special quilt. What a wonderful gift to give to Abby. Something concrete to tell her how much she is loved and thought of during this time. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sue! What a wonderful quilt to wrap Abby in. All the love you quilted in it, all the love her friends and teammates wrote for her, all the strength and good wishes your friends and fellow quilters wish for her is a powerful thing. May God wrap her in His love and put His healing hands on her and rid her of that disease. May her doctors follow His guidance and choose the best path for her. Be strong Abby but it is okay to cry and be weak as well - God has you! Thank you for sharing this today. Merry Christmas to you and your family. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gracious, what a quilt! What a story to tell about it! I was just reading about the Hawaiian concept of *mana*, the idea that the entire process of creating a quilt involves the mind and feelings put into it for the person who will receive it. The feelings of Adelina as she pieced the quilt for Abby, and your feelings as you quilted it. Abby will get special protection and extra love from all the mana put into it. How very wonderful, every step of the way.
    Thanks so much for sharing this amazing project with us, and for linking up so I could find it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful amazing quilt. Best of luck for Abby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Sue, what a beautiful quilt and quilting! I can feel the love and support poured into this beautiful quilt and I am sure Abby will treasure it! As a former chemo nurse, I have an idea of what she is going through with her treatments. And there is hope for a cure - now more than ever! Praying for a complete and full remission for Abby! Thank you for sharing this touching story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a thoughtful idea to allow the quilting to help the quilt "speak" it's encouragement via texture. Best wishes to Abby from me (and everyone reading her story, I'm sure), as well. ♡

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a touching story. I do wish her well. Your quilting on this is exquisite! I love the way you quilted around the writing, making it even more special. I'm sure she will cherish this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It takes my breath away! Gorgeous and so much love in it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wishing Abby alll the best and Adelina you are an amazing person to put this treaure together. Your inspirational words 'the best view is after the hardest climb' is so inspiring. i have followed the quilts journey on Facebook Sue, but to read about it here and see your amazing quilting really brings the meaning of this quilt right into the heart. It truly is a masterpiece of love..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful job on the Abby quilt!
    Your mystery blocks look so pretty in the basket!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, very inspiring quilting and story. Thanks for sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, comments and questions welcome!