Sunday, November 11, 2018

Fresh off the Frame - Sandra's Quilt

I've quilted a number of quilts for Sandra and loved every one.  She likes loose quilting on her quilts, she wants them nice and soft!  If you've seen my quilting, you now I like a lot of thread!!  But I exercised considerable restraint on this quilt (the struggle's real).  LOL quilting half as much took me twice as long!!

I wish I could applique like this.  I so love applique but I have the patience of a three year old and my hand work looks like a three year old did it!!!

I didn't stitch on any of the applique unless it was an area bigger than my fist (Margaret Solomon Gunn tip).  Then it was just a very simple line or to (like the tulips to accentuate the leaves or n the large center, a simple echo on the inside got it to be an acceptable  amount.  I really really wanted to put viens in all the leaves, but I was strong!  Thanks for letting me quilt for you Sandra!





No idea what the pattern is :(  usually she leaves the pattern with and this one is a beauty!  Her kids got the kit for her.  Great kids eh?

Details on the quilt - Hobbs 80/20 batting, So Fine thread, 2 colors on top, Bottom Line in the bobbin.  Rulers used:  Deborah Poole's Rule it (love the 1/8 in markings and it's small enough to guide with my ring finger, nudging the ruler), Kelly Cline's Kelly Bean for around the applique.  I certainly can't quilt curves without using one of Linda's curves from Quilted Pineapple.  I used the 10 curve and the long straight ruler, went from corner to corner. Quilters Rule curvy thing, perfect for continuous curve.  And of course a purple air erase marker, can't do ruler work without that.  Now how long did it take for this quilt. My machine run time was less than 7 hours.  I would add roughly two additional hours for marking and staring.  About 10 hours total to complete this.  Man I went very very slowly not sure why I come to an almost screeching halt when there's little quilting but it's just not second nature to me. I'm learning, I'm learning I can do different things.  See I don't quilt everything within an inch of it's life!!


Can't wait to show you the next quilt on the frame, this one's got a little surprise on it and there's definitely going to be more thread!!

Hope everyone has a great week. Check out the link parties on the side bar, so much inspiration out there. 

14 comments:

  1. Beautifully quilted - it really makes the blocks shine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Quilt - Think it is called Bloom by Lori Holt. Uses her simple shape templates

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a marvelous job on the quilting for this one -- she should be very, very pleased! It really enhances the top perfectly!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! The quilting is so perfect for that quilt. I'm with you, wish I could applique like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks beautiful, Sue, and you complemented the simplicity of the applique pattern perfectly without overpowering it. Thanks for sharing which tools you used and how long it took you. I especially love the arcs you quilted in the sashing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the quilting you did on this. I understand the struggle...trying to find the balance between quilted 'enough' but keeping it soft and snuggly is difficult. Thanks for sharing all the rulers you used, I always like to see what tools my fav longarmers are using. You did a fantastic job on this on Sue! Thanks for sharing on MCM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!! That quilting really makes that quilt shine even more. Gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilting is perfect for this quilt. I love Lori Holt fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilting is the perfect finish for a lovely quilt. I was going to ask if you used rulers, but then I read that you did. I have only used a straight ruler, but your curves were perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That quilt is gorgeous and so is your quilting! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful work Sue! I'm like you, I quilt and quilt but am trying to teach myself to make bigger loops and squiggles so I can have a fluffy quilt. It is hard on a domestic machine. I'm sure she loved your work, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, comments and questions welcome!