Sunday, August 18, 2013

Twinkle Twinkle Feathered Star

My first Feathered Star ever - not perfect but good enough for me.  Here's my progress on Common Bride - The center feathered star complete - I don't think you can even tell that center block is an inch shorter than it should be.  I just made the border around it a tad bigger and all was good. 7 of 24 8 Pointed star blocks completed, each one of them is an inch smaller than it's suppose to be.  It must be the center stars and the way I sewed them together.  I much have used a very generous 1/4 inch.  I did use a new 1/4 marking tool which I think I should have lined up the edge just outside the ruler, and perhaps used a thinner marking tool, all that can lead up to be an inch off on a block.  They were suppose to finish at 7.75 inches unfinished.  I was just under 7.  So I think I'm going to add 4 blocks, one to each side, and then adjust the border that comes before those blocks and all will be good.   Then after all that, the feathered star block is 1/4 in too big - ughhh.   I'm thinking I can ease in a 1/4 over 22.25 inches with no problem, I hope :)
I have 2 weeks of vacation and hoping to make some good progress on Common Bride.  Oh and we are starting our search for places to retire.  I want IN, cuz that's where I'm from.  My husbands want CO but I told him we were staying closer to the kids, so then he want IL, cuz that's where he's from.   My only require is that property taxes must be less than 500/ month.   We are paying outrageous property taxes here in McHenry, IL.    So we have a few explorations planned in both IL and IN, if you have suggestions I'd love to hear.  The requirement is 4-5 hours driving from Chicago.   We have a few years before we can both retire, but it'll be fun looking around and seeing what's out there.  Looking at things with a little bit of a different perspective.

Linking up with 
Patchwork Times

Fresh Poppy Design

19 comments:

  1. It looks stunning so far Sue!! Don't you just hate it when you have been so diligent with your marking and cutting, then the little blighters move on their own accord?? It's so frustrating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks wonderful. This is on my todo list. Im gathering fabrics and my nerve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is looking great!! Another on my wishlist!! Sounds like you are having a fun and interesting time with it. At least you are discovering 'errors' as you go, so that allowances can be made and no nasty surprises when it is too late to do any altering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good gracious! $500 a MONTH for property taxes? Look at Virginia.... except northern Virginia closer to DC the property taxes are MUCH less than your requirements. Of course, on the other hand the distance is a bit more! Sorry about that. Do a google search on great places to retire... that might give you some additional ideas. And, did I mention there is a lot of quilting in Va? just sayin'

    Great looking star. I'm sure you can ease 1/4" over 22+ inches. Keep at it. It will be gorgeous when all done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your feathered star. It looks great and I am sure you can deal with the extra 1/4 inch.

    Good luck on retirement searching. Our property tax here in Georgia is only a little over $500 a year since we do not pay school tax - at least a little benefit of getting old.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good, Sue! Your having to make adjustments reminds me of working on block swap blocks - some adjusting always has to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous feathered star!
    As for 4-5 hrs to Chicago: come on over to Michigan! Not sure what the taxes are in West Mi, but they can't be that bad....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blocks are looking beautiful! This is a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I say you check out eastern Iowa. It's lovely with the bluffs and rolling hills. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quite an accomplishment! I have made one feathered star in my quilting lifetime. I have always liked it and for many years thought I would like to attempt it and finally did while participating in a challenge BOM. Marsha McCloskey has some amazing quilts and patterns with feathered stars. Wow! $500 a month for real estate taxes in incredibly high! We pay about 165 a month here is Charlotte.Fortunately hubby and I live only about 4 hours away from the boys. We still don't see each other as much as we like because of everyone's tremendous and wild schedules. I hope you find the perfect location for your retirement. Anyways your Common Bride quilt is going to be soooo beautiful! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful blocks. I cannot piece it better. Not even with the right tools!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is going to be a stunning quilt! Enjoy planning for retirement... I'm sure the perfect place will make itself known given enough time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your star. I have only made one feathered star and that was enough to say I can. ;-) We used to live in Lake in the Hills, IL (also Niles and Park Ridge) and the taxes were high even then. Can't imagine paying them now ($35 a year for our 5 acres in AL). I'd look in KY where there are rolling hills and beauty and I65 for returning to IL when you want to.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful quilt and I'm glad you could work out making everything fit okay. Come to Iowa! We are 3 1/2 hours from Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How beautifully you labored for those children. Gorgeous, all 8 of them. You will be blessed.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, comments and questions welcome!