Friday, May 13, 2011

Smell the Spring

I don't often post about my kids  on the blog as this is quilting blog and I use facebook for all the fun family stuff. But today, is my youngest daughters last day of high school.  My goodness, where does the time go?  Seems like only yesterday we were signing her up for preschool.    This particular child had a world studies class this year, it's a multi year program and they created a "Senior Memory Book".  They talk about what they've learned and how they have changed over the last 4 years and profess all their new found wisdom for those that have time remaining in the program.  There was part of hers that I thought was very insightful and certainly applicable to how I approach quilting (hmmm maybe the apple doesn't fall that far from the tree???)

To quote my little Allison:
"For those who still have many years ahead for themselves the best thing I can say is to "Smell the Spring".  Enjoy the time spent (doing what you are doing), there is no better way to live than to enjoy the position you are in at any moment in time.  Do not take it too serious because, there are far more important things ahead.  Do not strive for perfection, you will never be satisfied.  You will be stuck looking at all the improvements you could be making instead of actually appreciating how much you have accomplished....in the end you need to try your hardest in everything you do, but if failure is to happen, learn to look back and enjoy everything you have done in your life and come back in effort to improve. "

While she wrote this about her high school years, it certainly is applicable to so many things.  Try hard, learn, love and have fun.  Isn't that what it's all about?  

1 comment:

  1. What very insightful thoughts for a young lady. Thank you for sharing that - be proud Mom.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you, comments and questions welcome!